Monday, September 19, 2011

"Spoon theory"

"Spoon Theory" is a way of explaining how much energy one has in a day and how much each activity takes for them to do. A wonderful woman with Lupus thought this up, her name is Christine Miserandino. Though she has Lupus and not EDS like me, her explanation is a wonderful way of explaining this.
I encourage you to please watch this video, it truly does explain a lot.




With spoon theory in mind I think of my daily life differently. I can't go to the mall, and go to work all in the same day. For me it's too much pain. I can only do so much before my body fights back. I was realizing that I spend a great deal of my time and energy working, which doesn't bother me at all. As I have said before I love my job. It allows me to spend time with my great group of co-workers and allows me to see so many customers a day.
Some days though I wish I didn't have EDS. It would be nice to be able to go do everything I want all in one day, but I can't anymore. So I find joy in the little things in life. Spending time with my family, talking with my friends, going to a movie instead of walking around the mall. I still use most of my energy and time that my body feels okay, for work, but it's what I have to do. I can't afford to not have a job, so I do what I can to enjoy it and make the best of it!

1 comment: